Benchmarking the Audit Services Function (15 slides)
What best practices or service innovations have become more prevalent in the delivery of internal audit services?
Internal audit benchmarking template
The internal audit services benchmarking tool (15 slides in PowerPoint) provides a summary work plan and template to help compare the delivery and practices of the internal audit function with those of other jurisdictions/ organizations.
The key benchmarking steps are:
- Identify potential organizations to participate in the benchmarking
- Prepare profiles of the benchmark organizations
- Compare delivery models and practices by dimension/criteria
- Summarize the results of the comparisons.
Dimensions/criteria specific to internal audit services are provided to help compare with audit delivery models and practices of other jurisdictions (see preview image chart).
Also included are examples of audit services common/best practices under each dimension as well as five level capability maturity descriptions to help situate your organization relative to common/best practices found in the benchmark organizations.
After you acquire the tool, you will receive an email with a link to download the template (15 slides) in a PowerPoint editable format, as well as the Benchmarking Guide (8 pages) in a Word format.
Common/best practices--Internal audit function
Examples of common/best practices in the delivery of internal audit services include:
- Multi-year audit plan
- Risk based approach to audit planning and delivery
- Horizontal audits
- Computer-assisted audit tools and techniques
- Training and certification of audit staff
- Independence of the audit function
- Independent audit committee.