Information Technology Management Organization Design Tool (15 slides)
Design the optimal structure for the information technology management function within a government agency.
Information technology management organization design template
The information technology (IT) management organization design tool (15 slides in PowerPoint) provides a high level work plan and template to help design the IT management organization. The template (see preview charts) addresses the following elements:
- Scope of IT management activities, objectives and desired outcomes
- The case for change—strengths, weaknesses and key challenges
- IT management trends, strategic directions and priorities
- Key IT management capabilities required
- Organizational design criteria
- Stakeholders and their responsibilities for IT management
- Stakeholder expectations of IT management
- Demand for IT management support and workload trends
- IT management activities, tasks, outputs and resources required
- IT management delivery model options
- Alignment of functions with the preferred service delivery model
- Key IT management positions, and skills and competencies required.
Purchase the tool and you will receive an email with a link to download the template (15 slides) in a PowerPoint editable format.
IT management organization design models
Examples of IT management delivery model options are highlighted below.
Decentralized sector/ branch/ region IT delivery model. IT expert advisors reporting to the corporate head of IT provide primarily strategic advice. IT expert advisors reporting at the regional or sector/branch level provide strategic and operational IT support.
Department/ agency mixed IT delivery model. The corporate IT group provides functional direction, establishes policies/standards, advises senior management on overall IT strategy, and supports corporate applications/ infrastructure. IT specialists in branches/ sectors/ regions support program applications.
Department/ agency corporate IT delivery model. The corporate IT group delivers all IT support (e.g., planning, portfolio management, application development, desktop support, infrastructure services) on behalf of sectors/ branches/ regions. Some corporate IT expert advisors are dedicated to specific sectors, branches or regions.
Government-wide centralized/ shared services model. Government-wide shared services support standardized IT platforms and systems (e.g., email); centralized data centres; and common government-wide enterprise networks.